Friday, June 29, 2007

"Reading Rainbow" - Week 1...Book 1


So here is the first post for the "Reading Rainbow"! I am very excited to inform you that I finished the first book. Trust me, this is a great day. So let's get on with it.

This weeks book was, "The Coffeehouse Gospel" by Matthew Paul Tuner.

The focus of this book is the techniques that we as Christians use to share our faith. Matthew's heart is that we as a Christian community often do not consider the effect we have on others when we share our faith. It is often programmed and taught in specific fashions that discount the feelings and even the value of those who do not know Jesus. Matthew made the statement, "It is a major fumble to speak the gospel in any way other than lovingly, mercifully and graciously." This book speaks to the importance and even the necessity of relationship and story in the sharing of our faith. I loved another statement he made, "An invitation to become a follower of Jesus is a personal and intimate message. Not meant to be auctioned off nonchalantly or delivered by car salesman-like men and women who couldn't care less what your name is or where you came from".

This book really spoke to my heart, because I have always felt myself to be a failure at sharing my faith. Matthew was very encouraging and yet stressed with great importance our duty as Christ followers to share our faith with others. I love this statement from the book. "The art of evangelism is not one to be mastered; It's more lifestyle than duty and more natural process than calculated function of necessity. It's God's resounding request for His followers to participate in His story". This book challenged me to reevaluate both my process and my thinking in when and how I share my faith. It's easy for me to freeze up when I have a chance to share. even a better possibility is that the chance for me to share will go right by without me ever noticing it. Matthew made this statement, "How many times have you felt God nudge you and you ignored it? I often wonder what I missed in the process. What would God have done in my life or the life of the man/women if I had simply said, 'yes I'll obey You'".

I really appreciated Matthew's ability to see things simply and then write about it in a practical easy to understand fashion. The book was easy to read and easy to apply. There were some great questions to ponder as well as opportunities to do some work on my end to dig into my own stories of faith and how then to share them. The 7th chapter was a great resource for what we should know as we take the time to share.

I encourage all of you to grab this book if you can. I look back in my life of growing up in church and there is so much deprogramming that needs to take place. Salvation is not a process of 3 steps and a prayer and we are good. Evangelism is not about me telling someone if they walk out that door and get hit by a bus that they are going to hell. Sharing my faith takes communication. It takes as much if not more listening than it does talking. I am excited to share my faith after reading this book. Not because I have a new faith, but I have a new confidence in Who's I am and I want people to know about Him. I'll leave you with 2 more statements from the book.

"Human beings do not evangelize. God is the one in the business of evangelizing. His people are the witnesses of His truth." "It is a Christ followers goal to reach out to those who do not know the loving kindness of God!"